Considering investing in Microsoft web technologies at your company?
A smart move! Microsoft web technologies are:
- Mature and well proven; SQL server – about 20 years old, .NET – about 16 years old, IIS and Windows Server – about 20 years old.
- Modern and innovative; major releases of all web technologies are produced nearly every year and set the gold standard for modern web development.
- Integrated; unlike some assorted collections of open source technologies, all aspects of Microsoft web technologies are tightly integrated, they understand and communicate with each other well, and they are thoroughly tested against each other.
- Powerful and comprehensive; covering all aspects of web development (ASP.NET WebForms, ASP.NET MVC), database storage (SQL Server), communication platforms (WCF and Web API) and hosting (IIS, Windows Server, Azure), feature rich development IDE, Visual Studio (considered the best available software development IDE).
- A choice of small, middle-tier and corporate IT departments: unlike some other short-living commercial and open source technologies Microsoft technologies seem to be there forever and there are no indications that this is going to change. Many IT departments prefer the long term stability and predictability of the Microsoft web platform over the fluid and sometimes dis-organised nature of open source products.
- Well supported: unlike open source products there are multiple support channels via Microsoft official support, authorised resellers and Microsoft web development partners.
- Strong developer community: it is never a problem to find a qualified Microsoft web developer of any range of experience, from junior to team leaders and solution architects. This makes it easier to ensure your product is still well supported if your current support vendor changes.
Considering an upgrade for your website from an outdated technology to ASP.NET?
A majority of other server-side web languages are just that – languages or scripts. ASP.NET, on the other hand, is a framework which provides substantial out-of-the-box blocks of functionality - making it much easier for developers to focus their time and effort on business requirements. C# (the predominant code language used in ASP.NET) is a modern language with up-to-date and trend-setting constraints, features and patterns - unlike many other server-side scripts.
ASP.NET offers two web development frameworks which are now equally embraced by the developer community: ASP.NET WebForms and ASP.NET MVC. Each of these frameworks provide some clear advantages over the other and can be selected on a case by case basis. MVC has an edge on testability and delivering cleaner and faster HTML, whereas WebForms can shorten the development cycle under some scenarios.
Being a ‘compiler’ program (not ‘interpreter’ of the source code), and compiled in release mode, ASP.NET is significantly faster than any scripting language. This is less noticeable in simple (or static) web pages, however becomes a significant advantage in websites performing complex computations. Unlike some other server-side technologies ASP.NET organically supports multi-threading which allows for use of all available server CPUs (of which modern server hardware has many), not just one.
ASP.NET is a strongly typed language; when combined with “soft” compilation features of the development editor Visual Studio, and testability of the code, it allows developers to produce more error-free code prior to running the website.
In modern websites, a substantial development and request processing time is taken by database frameworks. In 99% of cases ASP.NET’s choice is Microsoft SQL. Compared to open source database platforms, Microsoft SQL is more feature rich, has arguably the best best database management UI, is faster and importantly, performs much better in default query optimisation. So much so that ASP.NET developers never worry about spending time on manual query optimisation.
Produced by the same company, ASP.NET integrates extremely well with other development, database and hosting components like Visual Studio, Microsoft SQL Server and IIS. At the same time, ASP.NET websites can also be easily integrated with third party components via referencing their .NET and COM libraries, or communicating with them via web services.
Already on Microsoft web-stack, but not sure if Revium are a good fit for your needs?
Revium has a dedicated ASP.NET development team of experienced, senior web-developers. Our developers are Microsoft certified with MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) and MCSD (Microsoft Certified Solution Developer) credentials. All our staff are permanent employees working from our Richmond office.
Unlike other ASP.NET teams, many of which only recently started developing websites in Microsoft’s MVC framework, the Revium team has embraced MVC since the first version was released in 2009. We have developed and now support a variety of websites built in MVC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and now ASP.NET Core 1.
At Revium, a significant portion of our web portfolio comprises CMS (Content Management System) based websites. Revium’s ASP.NET team has a number of CMS certified developers with a wealth of experience delivering ASP.NET CMS based websites of any level of complexity built in Kentico, Sitecore and Umbraco.
The core strength of our development team is the capacity to deliver websites with complex business logic requirements on time and on budget. And by complex, we mean websites using extensive, multi-layered data-driven business rules and mathematical algorithms.
With the assistance of our dedicated design and digital marketing teams we deliver user-friendly, aesthetically-pleasing and W3C compliant websites with a strong focus on performance and SEO.
Our ASP.NET team also has capacity and experience to migrate websites over from other web agencies for support, to resolve issues, perform optimisations and/or develop further features. We are regularly engaged by clients and other web agencies to audit and analyse websites developed elsewhere, and provide independent advise on any performance issues and assist with development tools configuration.
Our web development-deployment project life-cycle is automated and utilises version control, bug tracking and continuous integration frameworks. All of which reduce the number of errors, improve monitoring and accountability. All of our code is peer reviewed within the team using a dedicated peer review framework.
We are well trained in configuring and maintaining website hosting infrastructure, including experience in HyperV, VMWare, AWS, database and network administration.
The ASP.NET team at Revium promotes a culture of ongoing training – from attending software and web development events and seminars, to formal studies and the completion of industry certifications on an ongoing basis.
In short, our Team has extremely high development standards, strong leadership and is committed to a shared vision on frameworks, techniques, patterns and naming conventions. The results of which can be seen in the varied and numerous projects Revium has delivered for its clients over the past decade.