I was installing SharePoint for the thousandth time last week on our new internal server and could not get the Search Server to start successfully from Central Administration. When i tried to start the service i got an error page with 2 short lines of text:

Error
SPSearch ([search service account])

After a day of verifying all the users details and permissions it hit me to try to use the domain before the username. This simple change fixed everything but i can’t remember ever running into it before.

You may also like

Windows 7 + VB6 + Standard User’s + The Registry = Arg!

I have spent the last couple of weeks assisting one of our client re-mediate some of the hundreds of VB6, Word, Excel and Outlook VBA add-ins in preparation for their XP to Windows 7 upgrade. One of the earliest issues we ran into was for verifying registry changes made. It looked like the registry keys these add-ins modify were not being saved.

Keep Reading

Creating deployment packages in SVN

In software development (in an ASP.NET web development in particular) there are always repetitive time consuming tasks, which we would like to automate somehow. One of those things is the permanent need to create deployment/update packages with files which were changed since the last deployment. 

Keep Reading

Newsletter sign up

Every couple of months we send out an update on what's been happening around our office and the web. Sign up and see what you think. And of course, we never spam.