I have spent the last couple of weeks assisting one of our client re-mediate some of the hundreds of VB6, Word, Excel and Outlook VBA add-ins in preparation for their XP to Windows 7 upgrade. It is no small task, believe me.

One of the earliest issues we ran into was for verifying registry changes made. It looked like the registry keys these add-ins modify were not being saved.

Consider this scenario: A user logs into windows and a VB6 assembly is run that query’s active directory and sets a registry key value to true or false if they belong one a particular user group. This setting is stored under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > CompanyName > Setting

When we try to verify that the setting has been saved we try to open regedit and are prompted to enter User Credentials, so we enter the Administrator’s. When we look for the setting it doesn’t exist. But why? Our code didn’t throw any errors and after adding debug information RegCreateKeyEx returned a successful result.

It turns out the issue was with our verification. If you supply Admin Credentials in Windows 7 to run regedit it shows the Admin users HKEY_CURRENT_USER settings… Arg! It turns out when you run regedit you can just re-enter the Standard User’s password again to gain access.

You may also like

Crystal Report Challenges

I chose to use UNION statements to link several select statements together to produce a neat and easy to read SQL query. All worked well in the stand alone Crystal report, but as soon as the report was called from the Windows application and valid filtering was applied the user was presented with the message “There are no records to report on”.

Keep Reading

Windows SharePoint Services Help Search – SPSearch Starting Error

I was installing SharePoint for the thousandth time last week on our new internal server and could not get the Search Server to start successfully from Central Administration. When i tried to start the service I got an error page with 2 short lines of text.

Keep Reading

Newsletter sign up

Every couple of months we send out an update on what's been happening around our office and the web. Sign up and see what you think. And of course, we never spam.